CJ Crosland is a self-taught artist and photographer based near London, England. Originally a Modern History & Political Science graduate and musician working as a software tester, CJ became hooked on Street Photography in 2010 and is in it for the long haul.
Working mainly with photography but also digital collage and video, CJ is inspired by whatever experiences life brings, whether joy and beauty, or vulnerability, pain, loss and the struggle to survive. They seek to capture the intensity and complexity of their individual experience, and the powerful emotions which are central to it. This takes the form of several concurrent streams of work, which exist alongside their street photography. Much of the work explores the contrasting and reconciling of opposites: looking inward versus looking outward, distance and dissociation versus closeness and connection, colour versus black and white.
CJ’s work has been described as exploratory, introspective, poetic and powerful.
- London Independent Photography Annual Exhibition (London, UK 2012, 2014, 2016 & 2017)
- Loudest Whispers (London, UK 2016, 2017 & 2018)
- Surrey Open Art Exhibition (The Woking Lightbox, UK 2012)
- Surrey Open Photography Exhibition (The Woking Lightbox, UK 2014 & 2017)
- We Are LGBT (Mary Ward Centre, London, UK 2015)
- When Death Comes exhibition (Bristol, UK 2015)
- Down by The River at Observations Festival (Letmathe, Germany, 2017)
- On The Road by The Photocopy Club (Lodz, Poland, 2016)
- The Impossible Image by The Photocopy Club (Liege, Belgium, 2016)
- London Calling by The Photocopy Club (V3 Gallery, London, UK 2018)
Images from Fishing With Dynamite will be showing in Loudest Whispers 2018 from 02/02/2018 - 17/04/2018.
All images & text © CJ Crosland 2018.
Most images are available as prints. If you are interested purchasing a print or a zine or wish to use any of my images, please contact me.